Monday, 20 November 2017

Eastern Medallions Poinsettias

Hello, Crafters.

I hope you've enjoyed a great weekend.

Today's card was inspired by a swap I received at OnStage recently from Emma Cooper, whose card front swap featured a poinsettia die cut using two dies from the Eastern Medallions Thinlits Dies. 

For her card, Emma had used the big outline die, plus the one that just partially cuts the petal leaves. 

My poinsettias are a fair bit smaller because I've only used the partial die. 

I die cut a total of eight Real Red Cardstock (CS) pionsettias, and cut off the excess by cutting on the narrow strip between each petal. 

Once the main part of the unwanted cardstock had fallen away, I folded one petal forward, and carefully cut between each set of two petals in a curved direction so the centre of the poinsettia was a-near perfect circle! 

I experiemented with three different leaves, and finally decided to stamp the outline leaf stamp from the Painted Harvest Stamp Set, using Wild Wasabi tone on tone.

I punched them out using the Leaf Punch, and cut them apart so I had three individual leaves from each punched image.

I adhered to poinsetties together in pairs, and then adhered two leaves on each. 

Again using tone on tone but with Daffodil Delight this time, I stamped four outline flower centres from the Daisy Delight Stamp Set, and punched them out using the half-inch Circle Punch. 

I used Tombow to adhere them in the centre of each poinsettia. 

To complete the three poinsettias for the front of the card, I painted some of the small Basic Rhinestones, using the Dark Daffodil Delight Blend Pen, and adhered them to the Daffodil Delight centres.


For the centre of the poinsettia inside the card, I added very small dabs of the Fine Tip Glue Pen and put aside to dry.

I think this looks a lot better than the Basic Rhinstones, but won't be changing them over, just in case I damage the Daffodil Delight centres.

!!Although thinking about it as I write, I could always put a new flower centre on top of any damaged one!! Hmmm, food for thought!

To create the black and white striped background, I found it was best to start with a piece of Whisper White CS that was larger than I needed. 

This way I was able to trim off the edges which was spoiling the overall look, partucularly the starting and finishing points!

It took me three attempts to work this out! LOL!

I started with a quarter of a small sheet of cardstock and used the side of the brush end of my Basic Black Marker Pen. 

I drew "straight" lines from top to bottom, and then trimmed my cardstock down to the required size - a much better idea!

Using Real Red Ink on Whisper White CS, I stamped the sentiment from the Peace This Christmas Stamp Set. I die cut it with the third largest oval Stitched Shape Framelit Die, and layered it on a scalloped oval die from the Layering Oval Framelit Dies.

Talk about having a DOH! moment!!

I heard back from Laura Mackie over the weekend. 

You may remember her Hearts Come Home swap card I CASED on Friday, but I couldn't work out how she'd achieved lighter "splodges" that were on the sky! 

The answer is that she used Clear Embossing Powder for the splodges first, and then coloured the sky! DOH! 

Many thanks for getting back to me Laura, I'm really grateful.

That's it from me today. Until tomorrow, happy crafting.

JanB.

1 comment:

  1. Love your card, the flowers look great, will have to try those

    ReplyDelete