Monday, 20 March 2017

Silver Dragonfly

Hello, Crafters.

The invitations are done! Vicki came and collected them yesterday, and she was thrilled with them. She's planning to get them in the post today!

Yesterday evening I had time to play and I made this dragonfly card! 

To make this I used a card base in Sweet Sugarplum Cardstock (CS), with a layer of Whisper White CS and a top layer of Sweet Sugarplum CS which I dry embossed using the Petal Burst Embossing Folder. 

To start with, I adhered the top two layers together using Tombow. I used our Silver Foil to die

cut two layering scallop squares using the Layering Squares Framelits Dies, nos. 9 and 10 dies. 
I also die cut a dragonfly from the Detailed Dragonfly Thinlits Dies and the single banner from the Bunch of Banners Framelits Dies. Then I die cut a piece of the Sweet Sugarplum gingham design paper from the Succulent Garder Designer Series Paper (DSP). For this I used the largest square die in the Stitched Shapes Framelits Dies. When I laid the die onto the pattern, I made sure that the stitches woul be on lines that are primarily white, because I imagine they would show up more than if I'd positioned the die onto a primarily pink area.

Normally I would have stamped the dragonfly from the Dragonfly Dreams Stamp Set and put the wings, which shows the veins in the wing - behind the die cut Silver Foil Dragonfly but I wanted plain white wings at the back of the dragonfly for this project. The white could have been die cut but as it was quick and easy to do, I drew around the die cut onto a piece of Whisper White CS and cut it out by hand, just inside the pencil marks. I adhered the white wings at the back of the Silver Foil dragonfly using Tombow.

I positioned the photopolymer THANK YOU stamp onto a block and bent it in a slight semi-circular position. I did a test stamp onto some scrap paper so I could eyeball it to decide if it would fit into the die cut banner. 

Originally I tried to position the stamp on the back of the banner stamp that co-ordinates with the banner die. My idea was that if I could adhere it on the back of that stamp, face down, I could put my block down to pick it up. The practical side of this theory didn't quite work out, although I'm not sure why! LOL! This is when I decided to eyeball it and achieved a great result!

Initially, I stamped the banner stamp using Basic Black Archival Ink onto a piece of Whisper White CS, and then I stamped the sentiment inside using Sweet Sugarplum ink. I cut round the balck edge as i thought it would look nice adhered onto the Silver Foil banner with an edge around it. I didn't like the look of it so cut it down to the size as you see on the card. It looked a bit lost at first, so I went around the edge using my Sweet Sugarplum Marker Pen, and this made it pop! 

To put my card together I wrapped a piece of Sweet Sugarplum Ribbon around the card front - the ribbon is part of the combo pack available on page 21 of the Spring catalogue. I added five of the larger Rhinestones so the ribbon looks as if it's been studded! I adhered this layer to the card front using Dimensionals.  

Then I adhered the two Silver Foil Scalloped Squares together, and then the DSP. I adhered this to the card front and adhered the dragonfly in the position I decided he looked best. I adhered the sentiment to the Silver Foil banner, and then adhered the banner to the card front.

Using Sweet Sugarplum Ink, I finished my card by stamping the dragonfly on the Whisper White CS layer for the inside of my card. There were quite a few steps to create this card but well worth it! 

That's about it for today. Until tomorrow, happy crafting.

JanB.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi, Catherine. I'm glad you like it, too! ☺ Happy crafting, JanB.

      Delete