Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Framed Vellum Flower

Hello, Crafters.

I'm pleased to say our friend's hip replacement operation went really well yesterday and she's making an excellent recovery.

Yesterday evening I had a phone call from my sister in Australia, to say she was at the hospital with my Mum, because she'd had a fall at the nursing home and had cut her head badly.

Apparently Mum, aged 92, was in good spirits and taking it in her stride!

This morning I uploaded my latest video to YouTube. I've called it Framed Vellum Flower and shows an easy way of adhering vellum to cards without having to worry about trying to conceal the glue!

It's done by encasing the vellum inside frames made by Thinlits dies.

Obviously this is quite restrictive as it depends on the size of the dies you have.

When I plan a video, I make my first card - the prototype - and whilst I use 99% of Stampin' Up! products, I do sometimes use some of my favourite retired products. 

If you look at the last photograph, you'll see the prototype card for today's video.

The dies I used are retired and called Labels Collection Framelits Dies.

I really liked these and was very disappointed when they were retired but at least they proved my idea for today's card would work!

I thought about heat embossing the flower image as opposed to stamping it but decided against it because heat embossing sometimes causes vellum to warp!

The next step after testing my card idea is to remake my card but only using current products.

As far as the Designer Series Paper (DSP) I used for my second card is concerned, it'll be retiring in two days as it's a Sale-A-Bration (SAB) product but there are other suitable DSP available in Hello Honey that will work equally as well. 

I changed the dies to Lots of Labels Framelits, the ribbon to the White Jute Ribbon, and the sentiment to one from the Party Pants Stamp Set - another SAB product.

The other change I made to card number 2 was that I stamped a background on the Whisper White Cardstock behind the vellum because I felt the plain white looked rather stark.

I used Timeless Textures Stamp Set and I'm really very pleased with the effect.

For the video I changed the colour of my card from Hello Honey to Blackberry Bliss.

The DSP is from the same set as the design I used in card number 2.

Unfortunately, the only Blackberry Bliss ribbon I have is far too thick to make a very small bow so I used some of the White Jute Ribbon.

I cut along the ribbon to separate two strands and tied a very small bunny ears bow.

On the video I forgot to colour my vellum flower with my Clear Wink of Stella Glitter pen, before I photographed it. But it really does add a WOW to the design.

That's it for today. Until tomorrow, happy crafting. 



  1. Hi Jan, thanks for the Vellum tip, hope your Mum recovers quicky, what a trooper.
    Rene from OZ x

    1. Hi, Rene. Glad you found the tip useful. Many thanks for your good wishes for my Mum. Bless you. ☺ Happy crafting. JanB.