Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Ribbon Ornament & Video: Selective Dry Embossing

Hello, Crafters.

My day yesterday started with my regular physio session for my back's monthly MOT! And then I was able to spend the rest of the day in my studio.

Before I talk about today's card, I have just uploaded today's video: Selective Dry EmbossingI have posted a photograph at the end of today's blog of the card I made.

There is also an important piece of news at the end of this blog.

So onto my second card in my Week 12 Challenge. It's loosely based on Iris Folding but uses ribbon instead. I love this technique except that doing it properly with paper, if the paper used isn't fine enough, it can cause quite a bulge in the card.

This isn't a problem with ribbon but does require the layer to be on Dimensionals to get the best effect.

I started this card with a Whisper White card stock card base with a layer of Garden Green. I used the round ornament die from the forthcoming Delicate Ornaments Thinlits Dies to die-cut the top Whisper White top layer.

I stamped the front of the layer using Encore Silver Ultimate Metallic Ink with the snow stamp from the White Christmas Stamp Set, which is in the Annual Catalogue, brought forward from last year. I added faux stitching around the outside of the die-cut to give it a bit of an "edge".

Working from the reverse side, I used temporary adhesive to my layer and made sure it was lined up straight on my Grid Paper - this would make it easy to decide where to place the first ribbon.

I applied Fast Fuse around the outside of the die-cut and lined my first ribbon across the centre of the die-cut, making sure it went through the squares on the Grid Paper, corner to corner.

This isn't essential but it does make sure the angle of the ribbon "correct". When I had completely covered the die-cut, I turned it over to make sure I didn't have any gaps.
I had to adjust one of the ribbons towards the outside as I had lid it slightly on top of the adjacent ribbon. It was easily corrected.

I adhered this layer to the card front using Dimensionals. I die-cut the "snowflake" that's inside the ornament using Silver Foil Paper and adhered it with Tombow.

I stamped the top of the ornament on a scrap of Whisper White card stock with Versamark and sprinkled over it with the Silver Embossing Powder.


When I had heat set it, I die-cut it out and adhered it to the card front with Tombow.  I did the same heat embossing with the sentiment which I then layered onto a piece of Real Red card stock followed by a layer of Garden Green. This was popped up with Dimensionals.

I had an idea for my third project while I was working on this project yesterday and didn't want to wait until today before I found out whether it would work or not.

So I went ahead and did it......... successfully! I felt very pleased with my creation until I saw it had already been created by SU and there was a photograph of it on the front cover of the new Christmas catalogue! DOH!! Today, I'm going back to mine and will add some more embellishments to make them a different.

Oh, boy! I wish I was more observant!

Before I go, just to let you know that SU have added some more products to the European Clearance Rack - click on the tab at the top of this page and it will take you straight there. If you're not in Europe, please check the Clearance Rack in your region as products may vary.

Finally, at very long last, the Shop Now button at the top of the page will take you straight to my 24.7 online SU shop and, likewise, with the Weekly Deals Button.

Until tomorrow, happy crafting and maybe happy shopping!

JanB


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your jammed packed blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased you enjoyed it Julie. ☺ JanB.

      Delete