Saturday, 29 August 2015

Bauble Lanterns


Hello, Crafters.
 
This is the first time in the last two months that I have been ready for my classes with plenty of time to spare. I really don't know why I wasn't so well organised previously but I do know this is so much nicer.

Note to self: always allow plenty of time to get prepared for classes!!

This is the last project in this week's challenge..............and I love it!

I made the Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper lantern first and I really love it. Unfortunately, I had a big problem with the adhesion. I've always felt that Glue Dots is the best adhesive for Glimmer Paper but for a box, you need a continuous line of glue on the seams which is obviously not very practical with Glue Dots!

I used Tombow but I had to stand weights on it to hold the seam together while the glue had dried sufficiently to hold. I had the same problem when I glued the bottom flaps together.

I also found that the thickness of four flaps of Glimmer Paper stopped the lantern from sitting flat on the desk surface.
I didn't want to use my Bone Folder for scoring in case the roughness of the Glimmer Paper damaged the surface which is what did happen to the surface of my glue stick holder that I used as my "bone folder".


I used the Irresistibly Yours Designer Series Paper from this year's Sale-a-bration for my second lantern. The Colour Me Irresistible DSP in the annual catalogue (page 142) is very similar, it just has different designs, and half the sheets are already coloured in the five new In Colours.

I cut and scored my card stock and scored it first. Then I die-cut the smallest bauble from the forthcoming Delicate Ornament Thinlits Dies on all four oblongs that would form the sides of the lantern. 

I used the new Precision Base plate and found that the cut-outs weren't quite as easy to knock out with my fingers as when I've been using card stock.

The reason being that both of the types of card stock used for these lanterns are quite a bit thicker that our normal card stock. Having said that, the bauble came out of the die very easily and it was equally as easy the push out the bits with my Paper Piercer. My verdict: I'm still in love with my Precision Base Plate.

Before I started to assemble the lantern, I adhered vellum in the "windows" and then adhered the baubles onto the outside of the windows using Tombow. I am very pleasantly surprised that the Tombow is nowhere near as obvious on the Vellum as I thought it would be - in fact, I'm amazed.

After I had assembled the lanterns, I added small bows as the finishing touch.

Next Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I will be at the Creative Crafts Show at Sandown. Natalie and I will be on the Stampin' Up! stand. If you're planning to visit the show, please stop by and say hello - it'd be great to meet you! 

At the moment, I'm not sure whether to do a challenge next week because I'm not sure if I'll have enough time because of the show. Although, I suppose I could make the challenge to post one project each day but not have a theme................I'll think about it over the weekend!

I have made slight progress with the problem of not receiving notifications from YouTube on my PC when viewers post comments. For some as yet unknown reason, I am receiving notifications on my iPad! At least this affords me the opportunity to respond to the comments. Hubby will look into it for me during the day while I'm doing my classes. I'll keep you posted on his progress! Fingers crossed!

We have a three-day weekend this weekend because Monday is a Bank Holiday - yippee! I hope you all have a great weekend, wherever you are and happy crafting.

JanB.
 

2 comments:

  1. I love this - so delicate and pretty. Thank you Jan, and have fun at your show!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I'm trying to work out how to get round the problems with the Glimmer Paper - I'm half way there! Happy crafting, JanB.

      Delete